Hi everyone, @working-group
From now on, our meeting minutes will only be posted here. Our ‘newsletter’/ email can be catered more towards general topics that are circling our community. We need to tie that tightly with what’s going on in our social media as well.
August meeting minutes
Meeting was held on 29th August, 9.30 am to 11.30 am IST on Zoom.
Sharing session - None
Speculating session - Piyum presented his design framework on the different ‘levels’ that design can operate in.
Discussions that centred here are:
- What are different skills involved in each of the levels?
- In design education, where do we start?
- Raw skills vs Mindsets
- Maybe its about people making the decisions, having a ‘Design’ mindset
- Originality, personality, confidence – in design ed, to handle all 3 levels
- is Level 3 the ‘dream’? Is there a ‘level 0’ ? where designers are given all the specs and are asked to figure out how it’s made?
- Some ‘boundaries’ inherently come with the industry we work in.
Reviewing our post event doc
- Diversity & Inclusion: Equal gender representation? Defining goals? * The importance of ‘lived-experience’ - avoiding tokenism
- There was a lively discussion on how we need to redefine what is ‘good’ / ‘good outcome’. Do we also carry our inherent biases?
- The necessity of a clear Diversity and Inclusion manifesto/strategy
Planning for future events:
Event types -
a. Exposing different ‘pathways’ of design: eg. Inclusive design/ Accessibility, Sustainability - once every few months
b. Collaborative events with Akuru Collective - early next year - on how typography intersects with other design disciplines
c. Rapid fire events: introducing different disciplines - more conversation like. Invite people who expressed interest through our form (post event). Get them a chance to meet the community.
Less overhead. Maybe once in 2 months
d. WTD - quarterly event
3. Documents to work on
a. Event ‘How to document’ that summarizes all our learnings and lists accounts
Get an Eventbrite/Meetup account to streamline communications and avoid spamming.
b. Diversity & Inclusion document
c. Manifesto - to keep working on this
4. Arteculate magazine invitation
- What does the partnership entail?
- Check what they write and their agenda.
- Go event by event, not to give exclusive rights.